Welcome to "Quilts of Honor - the Travis Project"







Quilts of Honor - the Travis Project, was created out of a desire to honor not only the memory of SSG Travis Hunsberger, but to show honor and respect to the men and women he served with. I made a quilt for Steve & Ronda, Travis' parents, and presented the idea of making more quilts for the soldiers at Fort Bragg. There are numerous wonderful organizations who provide quilts to wounded and hospitalized soldiers, but I felt led to do something different. We decided our first project would be to provide a quilt to each of the men in Travis' unit at the time of his death. Our goal was to accomplish this by Christmas. I am happy to report that we have exceeded our goal, and on December 10 2008, two men from our church, Wakarusa Missionary, headed off to North Carolina to deliver 19 quilts!! In May of 2009, we were able to deliver another 33 quilts!! Since then, we have delivered approximately 40 more quilts to families of the fallen and also to Wounded Warriors. Your help is still needed in lots of ways if we are to keep this project ongoing. First and foremost, pray for these brave men and women who serve each day to keep us free and protect us from those who would seek to do our nation harm. If you are a sewist or quilter, I can use you, if you would like to donate fabric or funds, I can use you. If you'd like to leave an encouraging word, or perhaps you knew Travis and would like to share a memory, I can use that too!



For more information on how you can help, contact me through this blog, by phone @ 574-849-7930, or by email, mamabech@msn.com.



To mail donations, send them to:



Quilts of Honor, c/o Dawn Bechtel, P.O. Box 613, Wakarusa, IN 46573. (Checks should be made out to Quilts of Honor.)



Thanks for stopping by, God bless you, and God Bless America!







Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Missing quilt. . .

The "lost" quilt showed up!!! I received a message today from the mother of the wounded warrior I had sent a quilt to the beginning of December, that the quilt arrived today!!  I am thrilled to know that it was a postal delay instead of ending up in the wrong place!

UPDATE:  My contact in New York will be delivering three quilts to Walter Reed on January 26th.   I am very grateful for the many supportive people from all over who have graciously responded to our project and helped in numerous ways.

We still need donations of quilts, quilt tops, and monetary donations to continue to send Quilts of Honor to the families of the fallen, and to the heroes who are recovering from their injuries.  Please pray with me that our needs will be met and we can continue to send these tokens of support to those who need to know that we honor them, support them, and thank them for the sacrifices they've made.

God bless all who serve and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

"Freedom is not free"

2 comments:

Christy said...

I had no idea until now that the 4th quilt going to Walter Reed didn't make it in a reasonable time. I'm so glad it was finally received & praying it was as originally shipped & not tampered with. ~Hugs, Christy Prado

Dawn said...

As far as I know it was received as shipped. First time I've ever had something like this happen, hopefully the last!