Welcome to "Quilts of Honor - the Travis Project"







Quilts of Honor - the Travis Project, was created out of a desire to honor not only the memory of SSG Travis Hunsberger, but to show honor and respect to the men and women he served with. I made a quilt for Steve & Ronda, Travis' parents, and presented the idea of making more quilts for the soldiers at Fort Bragg. There are numerous wonderful organizations who provide quilts to wounded and hospitalized soldiers, but I felt led to do something different. We decided our first project would be to provide a quilt to each of the men in Travis' unit at the time of his death. Our goal was to accomplish this by Christmas. I am happy to report that we have exceeded our goal, and on December 10 2008, two men from our church, Wakarusa Missionary, headed off to North Carolina to deliver 19 quilts!! In May of 2009, we were able to deliver another 33 quilts!! Since then, we have delivered approximately 40 more quilts to families of the fallen and also to Wounded Warriors. Your help is still needed in lots of ways if we are to keep this project ongoing. First and foremost, pray for these brave men and women who serve each day to keep us free and protect us from those who would seek to do our nation harm. If you are a sewist or quilter, I can use you, if you would like to donate fabric or funds, I can use you. If you'd like to leave an encouraging word, or perhaps you knew Travis and would like to share a memory, I can use that too!



For more information on how you can help, contact me through this blog, by phone @ 574-849-7930, or by email, mamabech@msn.com.



To mail donations, send them to:



Quilts of Honor, c/o Dawn Bechtel, P.O. Box 613, Wakarusa, IN 46573. (Checks should be made out to Quilts of Honor.)



Thanks for stopping by, God bless you, and God Bless America!







Saturday, June 27, 2009

A year has past. . .

A year ago today, Travis Kent Hunsberger paid the ultimate price for our freedom...he gave his life. In some ways this past year has flown by, in other ways, it has seemed eternally endless. It's been a year of grieving, fond memories, great hope of a heavenly reunion, memorial services, tributes, sharing, and caring. I've met people I probably might never have met had it not been for Travis' death, special people from all walks of life. The common bond is his life, and his love of life, and family, and friends, and his God, and his country. We all wish he were still with us, no doubt, but Travis is OK because he rests in the arms of his heavenly Father. And something else has happened to me too...I stand a little straighter when I see the flag, I pray more fervently for our servicemen, I take life one day at a time now, I love more deeply, and I understand more clearly that freedom is not free. To Steve, Ronda, Kyle, Sam, & Kelsey...thank-you for allowing me to be a part of so much of your lives this past year, I love you all so much! To Luis, Tony, Ramone & Emmy, Ron & Sylvia, Brian S., Brian D., Mike & LeAnna, Patrick, David, & Chris...thank-you for sharing the Travis you knew and for allowing me to be a part of your lives as well. It's been an honor and a privilege and I love you all! May God keep you safe as you continue to serve Him and our country, and may He grant you peace as well...To the many of you who have contributed in some way over the past year, a huge thank-you! You'll never know what your efforts have meant to so many. Please help me keep this project going...I will be revamping it and changing a few things in the new future, but am still taking all forms of donations. There is the possibility of another quilt delivery in the fall, I will let you all know soon...And as always, may the Lord bless you all and may He continue to bless America!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Hi Dawn, I posted about Travis, the memorial and the quilt project at my blog today and thought you'd like to know.

Have a blessed day!

Cindy Baum