Welcome to "Quilts of Honor - the Travis Project"







Quilts of Honor - the Travis Project, was created out of a desire to honor not only the memory of SSG Travis Hunsberger, but to show honor and respect to the men and women he served with. I made a quilt for Steve & Ronda, Travis' parents, and presented the idea of making more quilts for the soldiers at Fort Bragg. There are numerous wonderful organizations who provide quilts to wounded and hospitalized soldiers, but I felt led to do something different. We decided our first project would be to provide a quilt to each of the men in Travis' unit at the time of his death. Our goal was to accomplish this by Christmas. I am happy to report that we have exceeded our goal, and on December 10 2008, two men from our church, Wakarusa Missionary, headed off to North Carolina to deliver 19 quilts!! In May of 2009, we were able to deliver another 33 quilts!! Since then, we have delivered approximately 40 more quilts to families of the fallen and also to Wounded Warriors. Your help is still needed in lots of ways if we are to keep this project ongoing. First and foremost, pray for these brave men and women who serve each day to keep us free and protect us from those who would seek to do our nation harm. If you are a sewist or quilter, I can use you, if you would like to donate fabric or funds, I can use you. If you'd like to leave an encouraging word, or perhaps you knew Travis and would like to share a memory, I can use that too!



For more information on how you can help, contact me through this blog, by phone @ 574-849-7930, or by email, mamabech@msn.com.



To mail donations, send them to:



Quilts of Honor, c/o Dawn Bechtel, P.O. Box 613, Wakarusa, IN 46573. (Checks should be made out to Quilts of Honor.)



Thanks for stopping by, God bless you, and God Bless America!







Monday, September 15, 2008

Quilts update

Home again . . . knowing how I feel about that, I imagine it must be quite a feeling for the men and women serving our country, returning to American soil, planting their feet on familiar ground. Maybe even breathing a sign of relief. And yet, willing to do it all over again if need be. Gives me chills when I think about it . . .

It is with gratitude that I report a nice response so far to this project. Our first quilt was turned in while I was gone, I've added a picture of it for you all to see. I also opened several envelopes containing contributions for expenses which is a tremendous blessing as well! The sign-up sheet passed around at our clubs produced commitments for 4 complete quilts, 3 quilt tops, and offers of cash donations. And I also received a couple of emails offering help or donations. We're on our way! My greatest burden is that this doesn't end with just the first 15 quilts, I'm hoping and praying that the exposure in the papers and the brochures I'm updating, will spur this on.
I'm very new to this "blogging" experience, and with much frustration, tried to create a slide show of pictures. Well, I wasn't able to get it to happen, (guess I need to wait on Jolinda to get home from Africa & help me with that part), so I added them in the regular way. Watch for changes later as well as more pictures as we move along.

I want to share part of an email I received from Jade Wiggins, one of Travis' High School friends. She sent the picture of the rainbow you see pictured on here. This is what she had to say in explanation of it: Before Travis left for boot camp a group of us from high school all went to South Bend and hung out for the night in honor of Travis. On the way there we stopped our cars and all got out (at least three cars of people). There was the most amazing double rainbow. I think the girls cried and the boys just stood there . . . but we all considered it a sign that Travis was going to be ok. It was HIS rainbow. I have had the picture on my computer for years now and finally printed it after Mullet (Travis' nickname) passed. I hope it gives you goosebumps like it does me.
God uses many ways to show His love and care for us. Sometimes we're too busy to see what He's showing us, may our eyes always be open to what He has for us to see.

Thank-you again to those who have already contributed, and to those who are working on their quilts. And thank-you as well for your kind words in the notes you've sent, I appreciate it very much!
God bless you!
Dawn

No comments: