Welcome to "Quilts of Honor - the Travis Project"







Quilts of Honor - the Travis Project, was created out of a desire to honor not only the memory of SSG Travis Hunsberger, but to show honor and respect to the men and women he served with. I made a quilt for Steve & Ronda, Travis' parents, and presented the idea of making more quilts for the soldiers at Fort Bragg. There are numerous wonderful organizations who provide quilts to wounded and hospitalized soldiers, but I felt led to do something different. We decided our first project would be to provide a quilt to each of the men in Travis' unit at the time of his death. Our goal was to accomplish this by Christmas. I am happy to report that we have exceeded our goal, and on December 10 2008, two men from our church, Wakarusa Missionary, headed off to North Carolina to deliver 19 quilts!! In May of 2009, we were able to deliver another 33 quilts!! Since then, we have delivered approximately 40 more quilts to families of the fallen and also to Wounded Warriors. Your help is still needed in lots of ways if we are to keep this project ongoing. First and foremost, pray for these brave men and women who serve each day to keep us free and protect us from those who would seek to do our nation harm. If you are a sewist or quilter, I can use you, if you would like to donate fabric or funds, I can use you. If you'd like to leave an encouraging word, or perhaps you knew Travis and would like to share a memory, I can use that too!



For more information on how you can help, contact me through this blog, by phone @ 574-849-7930, or by email, mamabech@msn.com.



To mail donations, send them to:



Quilts of Honor, c/o Dawn Bechtel, P.O. Box 613, Wakarusa, IN 46573. (Checks should be made out to Quilts of Honor.)



Thanks for stopping by, God bless you, and God Bless America!







Monday, October 6, 2008

A heavy heart. . .

This post will having nothing to do about the project. It is all personal. Around 1:00 this afternoon I received a frantic phone call from my niece to come quickly, my nephew's wife Lisa, was gone from this life. She had a bad migraine and was sleeping in, around noon her 18 year old daughter went to check on her and could not wake her. She called her father and he raced home to find that his beloved wife had already passed on. I'll probably get her age wrong, our family is so large I lose track, but she was late 30's maybe 40 at the most. Needless to say, we are all in shock. . . numb. . . and at a loss for words. My immediate family is large there is around 114 of us. Other than the deaths of my parents, this is our first loss, and it's hitting hard. God has blessed us in so many ways over the years and I know there is a message here, I'm searching to find it. All day, the song "Our God is an awesome God", has kept going through my mind. Lisa was a prayer warrior, a true woman of God. She loved our Lord & Savior with her heart, soul, and mind, and I am confident she is sitting at His feet right now and smiling that lovely smile of hers. She has no more physical pain, no more emotional pain, she's free. She and Jeff overcame alot of obstacles in their married life, and they had a strong, loving marriage. Her daughters meant the world to her. The Compass Ministry at our church was her passion, she loved kids and reached out to many in ways only she could. She will be missed SO MUCH! Please pray for Jeff, Chelsea, and Cassie, as well as the rest of our family, as we go through the coming days and all that goes with it. So many have stopped in already today with love, support, and prayers. It is greatly appreciated. Make sure your loved ones know you love them, you never know what day is your or their last . . .

1 comment:

Michelle Marshall said...

I told Jeremy to give you a hug for me. And now I'll ask the same of you - hug him for me. My heart goes out to you and your family. Lisa will be missed by all, but her light and her spirit will live on. I'm praying for you. May the coming days bring you peace.
-Michelle Mast